Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hangin' On

Last night at our service, we were told that "ready or not, we're going to die." Adults realize that, death is a natural part of all living organisms' life cycle. But the bad news is that we don't necessarily get to determine when that occurs. Brother Jimmy talked about a friend who held on to life, longer than he should because he thought he needed to. It wasn't until a family member went in there and told him it was okay, that he let go.

The story is very similar to my Paw Paw. He had congestive heart failure. I remember being in seventh grade, and watching the clock all day at school when he had triple bypass surgery. I was very nervous for him but he came through it all great. As the years went by though, his heart could take no more. I was around age thirty when  the family was called in to bid our goodbyes. I walked in and he had an oxygen mask on and was struggling for air. It was all I could bare to watch him suffocating and his eyes looked at mine as if to say "help me!!"

I walked up to his bed with my sister and my sweet little Maw Maw beside me. I smiled as if I wasn't worried for him (or us) at all and said, "It's okay Paw Paw. We love you and we'll take good care of Maw Maw. Try to just relax and get as comfortable as you can." And I left. Five minutes later, he was gone. I barely cried because he was suffering so, I was just happy he was no longer struggling. It's not easy letting go of people we love. But if you know Christ, sometimes it's worse to hang on. Letting go can be the biggest gift you could give them.

No comments:

Post a Comment