Tuesday, September 20, 2011

They Take Me...

I walked in and took a seat at my usual pew. As I've said before, I never bring in expectations, I don't need them. With each and every visit, I gain more than I could ever expect from a church.

On Sunday night, I was asked a question "What will you do for Jesus?" I've admittedly not had a lot to offer the church other than filling space. Sometimes I feel like I've been sent to The Church for the Gifted. Although I'm not Gifted myself, they all seem to be. I suspect that my non-gifted presence could be a sign that maybe they all weren't born Gifted. Maybe they all had talents, maybe not, but as they all sit under the roof of New Welcome now, they have a Gift. And what's great, is they are all Gifted in different ways so it's like sitting amongst scholars of various fields but without feeling overshadowed or belittled.

I watched in amazement as a young preacher stood bravely in front of us all with tears streaming down his cheeks. He's normally seated at the piano so I was taken back that he had more than one Gift to share this night. So I kept repeating in my head, "What will I do?"

Before I could come up with an answer, she sat down at the piano. There's more than one singer at this church that can walk to the front for a song and have me searching for a tissue box in my preparations. I held tightly to the thin Kleenex as she began to softly play and sing..."If I surveyed all the good things, that come to me from above...If I could count all the Blessings from the Storehouse of Love..."

I sat watching the pretty grandmother sing this song and I realized what was different about this church, than any other I've ever been in...They Take Me...

They take me to a place with every heartfelt Testimony...I can feel the love, the passion, the commitment, the Faith. They take me to a place with every prayer request, that let's me know-even the Gifted need prayer. And Sunday night, with this one song, she took me...

She briefly lost her voice when emotion filled her, only to have God give it right back-she looked up as she sang, as if she were talking to someone in Heaven. Tears poured into the Kleenex I held so tightly to. I pictured my own sweet grandmother and was comforted knowing I too will be strolling in Heaven one day with her.

So that's why I can't wait to go to church each time the doors open. They take me...


No comments:

Post a Comment