Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Visit

Muffled screams awoke me this morning. I sat up and looked around, my heart was racing. It wasn't true...

Just minutes before, though I was sound asleep, He had come to visit. I was in a room full of people. I recognized my dad, some distant cousins, aunts, and uncles. We all seemed to be at my grandmother's house, as if it were a family reunion of some sort. I was walking around, partially participating in various conversations. As I walked away from one small group, I looked up and a glow entered the room. He seemed smaller in body than what I had imagined but resembled artist interpretation I've seen over the years in the face. He glided into the room and at first glance, I knew it was Him. He looked at me and then around the room. I suddenly became light on my feet, and began gliding instead of walking, just like Him. I found it very hard to breathe. There were so many people in my way, and all I wanted to do was get closer to Him. As I glided in His direction, I too looked around the room. No one even looked up. I was the only one in the room that saw Him. At this point, I didn't even care if I had died or was still living, I just wanted to be closer to Him. Finally, He got close enough to me, and I tried to speak. In my mind, I wanted to tell Him thank you for everything, but I became so overwhelmed with emotion that no words would form. I was about to reach out and try to touch Him but my muffled screams woke me as I tried to lift my weighted arms that wouldn't move...

I had been thinking about that all day. There are so many times when things don't make sense until I get to church...and that's where I found my answers tonight. One of my favorite singers walked up to the piano. She placed her book in front of her and I reached over with my right hand without looking to make sure I had tissue close by. She began singing the words to a song I've never heard. Her unique voice filled the air and sent chills right behind my ears. As she described a family circle around The Throne, I thought of my dream the night before. I had been in a room filled with family. None of them saw Him when He walked in, and it broke my heart. I held my breath trying to tame the tears that filled my vision.

I kept looking over at him, the man that sits on the front row during Sunday services and keeps his right hand stretched across the cross that rests underneath him, on the side of the pew. I don't know why I kept looking at him but I did, and I kept seeing his daughter. Tonight, he looked like his own child, as he sat shaking his head in agreement with all that The Lord was showing him. For a moment I wondered what he was thinking, and if it had anything to do with his daughter because he was glowing with looks of his child tonight. I listened to the singer, and I thought of my own daughter. I was glad that she would never have to question whether Mama or Daddy would be there in her family circle around the throne when she hears Him call her name...

As soon as the preacher called us all to The Altar, I knew I had to go. When my knees bent and I felt that thick carpet on my bare knees, I looked over and saw my daughter kneeling next to me. Tears came with ease. With clinched fists down on that long piece of wood, I placed my head upon them, and prayed.

I have a lot of family that never recognized Him when He was clearly present in that room. Despite it all being just a dream, I was reminded that I have a lot of work to do. I prayed for my family, and I prayed for His Light and I was very thankful for the visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment