Sunday, August 5, 2012

How Does HE Feel Part One

I saw her as soon as I walked in. The years have slightly crooked her back but she walks as tall as anyone in that room. Just weeks ago, many thought she would never walk through those glass doors again, but HE was generous enough to let us have at least one more visit with her. I gently grabbed her hand, careful not hurt her aging skin but with a firm grasp, she returned my Hello with a nice, easy smile. I felt strength in her touch, and saw it in her blue eyes, and I knew something was going to happen today. He had brought her here...

I sat down and immediately, I could breathe easier. I looked around at all the faces. Some I had practically spent the whole week with during Bible School, and a few I hadn't seen since last Sunday. A bright pair of eyes caught my attention and there was the little boy wearing a Summer yellow shirt. His gaze locked into mine for a brief moment and I smiled at the sweet boy, who had been Saved just days before. Thoughts began running in my head, knowing that he had become one of us. I knew that over the next several years, he'd see things, hear things, and feel things, he had only witnessed others experience. I was so glad HE had brought him here...

I was reminded of my own children and the burning question they still have...How Does HE Feel? I've spent the last several years describing how everything sounds to me, how everything looks to me, how everything feels to the touch of my hand...so my deaf children could simply learn words, speech and language that their little brains weren't really "wired" to do. I can tell you that one of our hymn books is not just red, it's dark red with barely any visible gold lettering left on many. Its cover is smooth and the words inside are tiny. I can tell you the other hymn book is not just the green one. Its cover is textured and it's wider than the other one. Its words are bigger and easier to read. The two little girls that sit next me can also tell you these things, though the color doesn't matter to them. They simply reach out and touch the books to decide which one they need. But the day my children asked me what Jesus felt like, I wondered if I had the words...

"When Daddy's holding his Bible so tight you can see his knuckles turn white, and we're not even reading from it, but he likes to hold onto it anyway...that's what HE feels like...

When someone is singing a song, and their voice breaks with emotion, and they look up at the ceiling and cry...that's what HE feels like...

When a teenager stands and walks to the front of the church, gets down on their knees to pray, and you see their back rising and falling rapidly as they weep...that's what HE feels like...

When you've worked and you've saved, and you've finally earned enough...but buy something for someone else instead, because you see their need is greater than your's...that's what HE feels like...

When someone stands up, and has to take a deep breath, just to take HIM all in before they can speak, only to give Him thanks for something many people see as common, but the sound of their voice is so thorough and powerful it spills on everyone, and they all wipe their eyes...that's what HE feels like...

When you've ran really fast and you feel far away and you're suddenly aware that your mouth is very dry...there's no water in sight so you must run really fast again, all the way home, and you drink, the ice cold water is not just what you need, but what you wanted...that's what HE feels like..."


...to be continued.


No comments:

Post a Comment