Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Angels

I was visiting a friend that lived not too far from my church. I told her I was about to go listen to someone from The Angels speak, a cancer survivor was going to share her story. My friend knew I'd be crying soon. She spoke of another woman from The Angels which is a group of ladies who gather in fellowship for Spiritual growth each week. The friend told me that the lady had visited her church once to share her own story of a different kind...and she assured me that she will never forget it. So when I walked in at the meeting last night, I knew that it was the beginning of a story I'd never forget...

Other friends were arriving, many were ladies from our church and we all took seats facing the lady who was about to share one of the most personal stories that The Lord had written for her. We often get caught up in the flesh and we think we have everything planned, often down to the last minute of every day but truth be told, HE holds the script. There are times when things don't go exactly like we imagined, but in the end, HE always has something better if we just let HIM take us there...something I was reminded of in a recent Devotion.

I sat next to the lady my friend spoke of, and found comfort in the shadow of her wisdom, her strength and her compassion. Without even preparing, words can leave her lips that can shelter you from a storm or help you find beauty even in the most common days. I always think of the light she spoke of once that a neighbor leaves on in their house. She said it was always comforting to pass by and see that the light was always on. Such a common occurrence to many, but not to this Angel, and no longer to me...

I placed tissues on the table for anyone who might be in need and I placed a single folded piece atop my Bible, so I could grab it when I needed it. It was within the first few sentences my eyes got warm and my vision blurred. I left the tissue on my Bible so I could feel the tears run down my cheek. I try not to wipe away the first few I shed. Having a child of no tears, I know this can come as a privilege so I try not to shamefully wipe them away when they first appear. She gave us words from a journal she kept during her time of sickness, and she gave us words from her heart she was given only after her time of sickness. There was a thin silence at times. With only sniffles to be heard, it felt like we had all turned into fragile glass for just a moment. I thought if anyone spoke too loudly or spoke in the flesh, we could break, and it felt good to be that fragile...

As we left, a friend of mine drove behind me almost all the way. I kept watching in my mirror at her lights and I found comfort in knowing she was behind me as we traveled the dark roads that led us back to our houses. After she turned and I was almost alone, I was thankful for the light He was giving me. I thought of how lonesome it would be to reside in the dark. I didn't always have lights from others and I didn't always have a light for a friend but this night, I was glad He had given me The Angels. I am blessed for the wise who share their stories. Even through their valleys, they are leaving the light on for someone else. There are many who can't find their way in the dark. There are many who will depend on these lights. I don't deserve it, but everywhere I look these days, people are leaving lights on for me, and I am very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment