Tuesday, October 23, 2012

This Seat is Saved

I shook my head no at the little girl who knew saving seats in the lunchroom was against the rules. Her eyes sadly looked down at the round seat next to her and she removed the leg she had draped across it moments before in hopes I wouldn't have notice it. I immediately wondered if I had done the right thing. What if she needed a friend that day?

I continued to watch the child until I was certain she was wearing a genuine smile and I thought of church, as I often do throughout my days. I thought of pews filling up and friends that haven't made it through the glass doors yet, and I knew, I couldn't save them seats either. Our little church is growing and on some Sunday mornings it seems that we'll run out of space before everyone gets in, but somehow, there's always enough room.
I could barely make it through the day without thoughts of past worship services entering my mind. Each and every minute of quiet time was filled with comfort knowing that HE was saving me a seat in Heaven right at that very minute...

I smiled as I drifted back in thought at tough and uncertain times in my life...and there HE was, saving me a seat in that little country church. No friend, no matter how great, could rightfully save a seat for me. All these years and He thought enough of me to place me in His House to learn, to see, to feel, and to worship with the ones I call the gifted. I had a flashback of myself sobbing with a gut wrenching empty cry to The Lord which HE filled with just enough strength to keep me going another day, and I teared up knowing, HE was already saving me a seat...

Over the years there have been so many times, I've had to remove burdens that I could no longer carry and HE was there to carry them for me. I could not see into the future, I had no idea that there was pew waiting for me. With countless prayers I've lifted from my own home knowing I had a seat in Heaven, I had accepted the fact that there was no special pew that could give me anymore than I could find in my own back yard. With the passing years, I had even forgotten about church. You don't have to go to church to get into Heaven I would tell myself...

One day, I found myself without the reminders of how wonderful HE is to others. Relying on myself for worship services, I looked around and I saw my children. I couldn't give them what I already had and I realized how poor I had become. I asked...and HE gave. The glass doors we never knew were even there, opened up one day, and I claimed a seat on a pew. I am extremely unworthy of any seat HE has saved for me. I am extremely Blessed that HE has refilled my life with all the reminders of how wonderful HE is to others. I still find prayer in my own back yard, but the depth of worship found inside those glass doors is richer than any gold found here in the flesh...that is something I can give my children. I am just extremely grateful for the seat HE's saving for them...

No comments:

Post a Comment