Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Because of the Shield

I knew the rain was coming. My bones ached before I could even crawl out of bed, but I knew that if I made just a little effort, and got up anyway, the pain would get better. I went through the morning routine like every other day, knowing I had the morning off, and I'd soon have my prayer time, my quiet time, my worship time, with HIM...

I admit, when I finally got to that quiet time, that prayer time, that worship time with HIM, I was expecting something. Usually, all I have to do is ask, and He'll show me more than I expected and it doesn't take me long to figure out what He wants me to see. Today was different...

I prayed three times and saw nothing but once more and I opened my eyes as I sat on the little cabin's porch. The warm December morning had driven me outdoors today. I could smell the wood chopped by hand with an axe by my husband and son, that was piled up neatly behind me. Lichen and moss still showed life as their brilliant green and blues colored the darkened rough bark of the wood. A soft breeze cooled my arms as I tried to listen for HIM.

There was nothing more than silence offered to me so I inhaled deeply. My eyes scanned the landscape for HIM but they were drawn to the tree right in front of me. There were two actually, but my eyes only wanted to look at one. Though both trees were equal in size, both similar in shape and form, and both were the exact same kind of tree, one had more to offer me this morning. The one barren tree seem to just shadow the other prettier tree who still had many leaves on it. I listened to leaves play their song as the wind moved through the bare tree's limbs and passed over to the pretty tree. The bright orange, deep red leaves seemed to dance and my eyes soon moved back over to the bare tree next to it. I could feel the wind run over my right arm first and then over the left one. I looked at the two trees but this time, I couldn't take my eyes off of the bare one. I was wrong about that tree. I saw a very strong tree standing before me this time who has shielded the prettier one all along. In fact the only reason the other tree was still pretty was because of the shield. If the other tree had not been there, the pretty tree would have lost its leaves to wind a long time ago.

Sometimes, people are different than what they seem on the outside. Sometimes, they hide behind the shield of others instead of arming themselves, afraid they will weaken when left alone. The Bible tells us in Ephesians chapter 6

13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
I walked away from the cabin's porch with exactly what I needed. It wasn't exactly what I thought I would receive this day, but I'm not surprised. HE'S been speaking "trees" a lot this past week as several have mentioned them as they Testify, even the preacher mentioned them in his sermon on Sunday. I couldn't even make it in the house before I dropped again, to my knees, in the middle of my yard, and thanked HIM for today's Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment