Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Calling of the Geese

I could here them outside as I walked across my kitchen. I ran to the back door and stood with the door opened, just so I could listen to them. I always think of church when I hear the geese. The tall man from Sunday School once said the geese cheer the one leading the flock on the entire time they fly until he gets too tired. He'll then move to the back and another one will take lead so the others can rest until it is their turn to lead once again. I smiled and closed the door after they had passed, knowing it was Wednesday, and in a few short hours, I'd be parked on a pew, ready to cheer someone on, as they took their turn doing Devotion.

I know the feeling of being asked to do Devotion. You really never know when someone will ask you to stand in front of the church and read from the Bible or tell a story of what God's done for you. Sadly, it can be one of the most dreaded honors you'll ever have to face. Most of us don't look forward to standing up in front of dozens upon dozens of people and talking or crying, whichever comes first. But the second you get yourself out of the way, and realize you aren't there for them, you are there for HIM, The Lord takes over and sees you through it...and that feels amazing.

I thought about her all day, because I knew it was her turn. After all, I had asked her to do it myself. The minute I had reached down and whispered in her ear the very night I had stood up there in tears, excitement lit her face and she said, "Yes. I knew you were gonna ask me." Without a doubt, without fear, the nine year old accepted my request without hesitation.

It was her turn now. She had kept in secret from her parents what she would actually be reading in her Bible. As she walked to the front, I found myself full of anticipation. She was leading the geese, and I was silently cheering her on. She confidently opened her Bible and said, "Genesis 1." She lifted the pocket light she carries around and lit the words that fell on her dark page. Most everyone in that room, knows that she technically sees more darkness than the average eyes see so that little light she carries can be just what she needs to cut through the dark.

She had whispered to me just the other day that she woke before anyone else in her house. She smiled that contagious grin and told me she reached over and grabbed her light and read her Bible noting it was her quiet time. My heart lifted as she began to read the words, "Then God said, 'Let there be Light.' And there was light, And God saw the Light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness..."

I kept reading those words over and over, even after she had finished. I thought of how she carries a light wherever she goes, both literally and Spiritually. At the ripe age of nine, she really don't need to keep that light in her pocket to lead others from the darkness. Feeling Blessed once again this day, in a might Mighty way. It amazes me how HE will take a child of darkness, and give her light. Just as he created day and night, you and me. Her light will shine for others for years to come, be it in HIS Will and I'm amazed He chose me to stand in her shadow and face this light. I love the way the calling of the geese sounds! I just need to practice this outside of the church walls more.

No comments:

Post a Comment