Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Reviving the Drowned

We rushed in, hurried from anxieties of the afternoon. Despite recognizing The Lord several times throughout my day, I wanted more, but I knew I deserved nothing. I fought back tears as I took up space on the pew I didn't deserve to occupy because I knew I had not prayed hard enough, long enough, yet I was wanting more of HIM and I was drowning. As people filled the room and moved about, I thought of how much time HE had already given me this day and I began to thank HIM. My heart began to calm as I was thankful to be alive enough to recognize HIM.

Our Revival was about to begin. My ears perked as enthused hands clapped with the songs. I watched and listened as I expected The Holy Spirit to move through soon. Sweat formed from the uncomfortable heat in the room and I knew that too was probably a good thing. Being uncomfortable sometimes is just what people need. I took one look at that large cross still standing in the room wearing a crown of thorns atop the name Jesus and a cool chill ran down one of my arms. A familiar group of three walked to the front who had sang at our last year's revival and my heart beat with anticipation. Soft words began a trickle that would soon flood the room with the powerful flow only The Lord could have given them. I watched her and waited as her voice grew stronger and soon she closed her eyes and lifted her hand in Praise. As she belted loudly I could feel her song pierce right through my ribs into my chest. Her mouth opened wide to let loose of what HE gave her and I could have swore I saw white doves take flight right out of her. With her Daddy and brother standing by her side, all three were giving what they had, and I was thanking HIM for that.

The visiting pastor who was preaching our Revival walked over to the piano along with his wife. The brother of the lady who could sing doves began to press those ivory keys for the couple's song. This preacher's sound was unlike any other I had heard before. It was full of a diversity of tones I had never witnessed one voice hold.

Our own pastor noted how the singers delivered with authority and I pondered on that word for a while. He mentioned the words "Big Brother Jesus" which I haven't heard very often in my 38 years termed just like that. My eyes widened knowing I had read the exact same words just hours before, while at a local high school trying to teach a Bible study class. The Lord needed my attention and HE had it. I had studied with the children the verses in Hebrew chapter 3
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
The visiting preacher stood to begin what The Lord had laid out for him. He spoke of a man mentioned in The Book of Mark that had a withered hand. He went on to say how he'd rather be stricken with a withered hand than a hardened heart. My heart was beating faster as the entire day was pulling together right before my eyes.


I had entered that room drowning in world of flesh and The Lord was letting me know, HE was still right there. I didn't plan to drown, but I had taken my eyes off of HIM, just like Peter did when he had once walked by Faith. I'm so thankful HE reached into my waters and pulled me back up.

I entered day two of Revival better than I had on day one. I didn't wait around to feel HIM, I brought HIM in with me. Another great night full of Reviving and songs. Children sang in voices that could melt even the most hardened of hearts of stone. I'm trying not to take my eyes off HIM today, I don't want to drown anymore. You can't see clearly under the water, you can't hear more than muffles under the water, and your every breath becomes labored and you sink lower and lower. I am Blessed this day, thankful for HIS hand once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment