Monday, July 8, 2013

Like a Servant

The word servant has been on my mind. No matter how hard I try to shake it, I see the word in everything I do lately. People ask me about my new job and as much as I want to describe it as being a servant, I choose other means, other descriptions because I don't want to be misinterpreted. I do actually get paid to be nice to people, to help people, to provide people with the best service I can possibly provide...so really my job is no different than what most people do, but I do often feel as a servant when I clean a toilet if it needs cleaning, wipe down tables in the lobby or pick up after people who might leave a mess. I've never had a job like this before but I have to say, it really is quite rewarding. Most people are kind that I come in contact with. Those who are not, make me a better person. They boost my efforts to be extra nice to others, especially to those who serve me in grocery store check-out lines or the drive-thru when I drop by for coffee.

Exhausted from long late hours of work, I sat on a pew Sunday morning as usual, just Blessed that I could be there. Every song we sang was about serving The Lord. The children even came from Sunday School wearing paper headbands that read, "Speak, for your Servant is listening." I began to realize why the word Servant had been on my mind. HE was showing me something. I have the opportunity to be a servant in the flesh at work to hundreds of people on any given day. I also have the opportunity to be a Spiritual servant for HIM in front of all of those people just the same. Though it's not my calling to preach to those who walk past me, there are other things I can offer from a genuine smile they might need to see, to a prayer they have no idea I'm lifting for them after they've gone on their merry way. There are things we can do without being actual servants in the flesh, sometimes that just isn't enough. Being an actual Servant of God will help people much more than a fresh set of towels and I need to remember that...

No comments:

Post a Comment