Thursday, July 25, 2013

Returning Home (part 2)

It is just a Thursday. The Bibles I no longer posses haven't crossed my mind in days. I ventured up the hill to the old cabin, determined to speak to HIM, and then listen when He speaks back. I sat comfortably in an old wooden chair and watched, and waited. Distant lawn mowers could be heard in the background of the sunniest of days we've had in weeks past. Rain has soaked the land and this is the first chance I've had in a while to just look out at crisp clear beauty.

I looked past everything and saw nothing. The shadows moved rather quickly as the sun peeked out in full from behind a pillow of cottony clouds. Suddenly everything my eyes had just scanned past, looked different. The tree in the field just beyond wore golden highlights not seen before. Leaves twinkled as they waved goodbye to the old tree and they fell in groups to the land below as if it were the middle of Autumn. I tried to turn my head but my eyes were fixated on the tree. I looked at the thick bottom of the trunk and my eyes lifted to find that the trunk was actually split right in two as if it were two separate trees, living as one at the base.

I offered the tree a smile and tried to turn away but just as my head began to move, more leaves fell grasping my attention. The sun shifted again I could see how many limbs grew in all directions from both sides of the tree and I wondered how the thing stayed balanced all these years when my eyes fell back down to the base of the tree. Of course, I thought...the foundation. Just like was mentioned in church. I began to think of the family tree again, the blue-eyed one rooted partly by the little lady that sits right behind me each Sunday. Her other half has long been gone having returned home some years ago...I never knew him.

I tried to turn my eyes from the tree but more leaves fell and the sun shifted quickly and I looked back to the limbs which now held branches. The branches held sticks and these sticks clung to the remaining leaves. They all began to dance in one accord, for one purpose and it was the most beautiful sight to see. My mind filled with images of the old lady's Bibles which I had returned to her family, she was a strong tree. I thought of the blue eyed-lady, her kids and their Bibles. I thought of how barren my own Bible might seem if it were to land in the hands of a stranger. I knew I used it but I became aware that it might not be apparent to others so I jumped to my feet and found my own child looking at me and then at the tree. I knew the child would always wonder why Mama stared at trees so much, but I scurried off the porch with immediate purpose and ran as fast as I could to my Bible. I opened it up and with a highlighter, I marked this verse:
Jeremiah 17:8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.
I wrote carefully underneath it with a blue ink pen Thursday 7-25-13. I hope that one day, after I've returned HOME, that my children will remember me watching trees...and know why I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment