Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Sound of Rain

The silence of the snow was peculiar. I don't know why, snow doesn't have a sound. It's quiet, soft, and gently lays upon the earth as if placed there by HIS very own hands, each and every single flake. I thought about the sound of rain...

I went back a few years when my children were small. The summer's heat had been bearing down for days. The children and I were searching for flip flops to place on our feet when I heard a sound. I knew what it was but I tried not to show any awareness of it to see if my deaf children could hear it through their hearing devices. It didn't take long before my daughter stopped in her tracks with confusion written across her face. She paused, turned her head left and right, and then paused again. About that time, large droplets of rain fell past the window and she caught a glimpse. The excitement of hearing the sound sent her straight over to that window where she gazed for a moment in amazement. It didn't take long for the disappointment to creep upon her little face but I rushed right over, took her by the hand, and we all walked outside...

I thought about the sound of rain. It wasn't long ago she couldn't hear it. Sometimes, she still can't. The loud water fell hard and fast but I knew it would pass soon. I wanted to go back inside but I watched the children jump from mud puddle to mud puddle with giggles spilling from their tiny selves. I couldn't deprive them of all this noise. The Lord had blessed them just a couple of years prior with the ability to hear, or even not to hear. Cochlear implants brought in all this noise, all this glorious noise...

I thought about how powerful the sound of rain is. It can sound violent and heavy or peaceful and soft, depending on what it falls upon. That single thought led me to realize how silent rain really is. It don't make a sound until it lands on something, or passes through it. The rain was silent. I looked up towards the sky and closed my eyes as cool water fell upon my sunburned face. I could hear the popping of the old tin roof as the droplets played music on hot metal. I could hear the water splashing as the kids stomped through every shallow puddle that formed in the imperfections of the sidewalk. I looked around and flowers were hoarding raindrops between their tiny petals to savor the unexpected treat. The summer shower seemed to be slowing. I saw the water ripple as one of the last few drops fell from the sky and landed in an undisturbed pool that had formed under the roof's eave. It had fallen in slow motion and with the smallest blip, it rippled the entire pond. But it had not made a sound, until it first hit the roof where it rolled quietly to the edge, and dove, pushing metal behind it, and meeting back up with the others of his kind, sent by HIM. 

I teared up as I became so thankful for the sound of rain. That was years ago and my children would still have enjoyed the rain that day even if they had not heard it, but I'm not certain I would have. As I watched the snow falling, I continued to thank HIM for the rain HE sent to my home that day. HE knew how important each and every drop would be to me and my children...and I am so undeserving. The Lord showed me that lots of times, we have to step out into the rain, to truly appreciate it. If we don't go through trials, if we don't hit hard times every now and then, we might hear silence...just like the rain. It has to fall on something, it has to move through something, or we might not hear it at all. Sometimes we have to look for the moving of the waters, feel the passing of the shower, listen for the music of the day, even if that means standing in the rain. It's so very tempting to run for cover but rain every now and then, is good for us all. Don't let the disappointment overtake the Blessing. Rain is not always a storm, and for that I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment