Sunday, July 13, 2014

Ten Little Knees

I sat in the stillness of His Peace trying to block out chaos from the backseat as my husband drove my family towards our little country church. I closed my eyes and heard words lifting from my heart towards The One on High as I prayed for the flesh which covered my bones. I needed that focus, that Worship with The Lord this day. The warm sun touched my skin and my eyes remained closed, waiting to feel. Tall pines darkened my lids as we passed them by but I could still feel that sun as it peeked beyond the shadows.

I remembered the week before. The church came together for VBS and by week's end, you could see the weak and the weary mark the faces of many but night after night, they came back to plant more seeds. It only took one smile from a little dimpled child's face, to know why we do this. It's good for us to lose sleep every now and then. It does us good to serve the community, each other, and especially Him. Our theme was The Fruit of The Spirit and I saw many examples of that fruit this week. I read a book to my 1-4 year old class about God's fruit, and how we are to give it all away. I saw people of the church giving Love, sharing Joy, and surrounding others with Goodness. I smiled to myself as I opened my eyes, refreshed and ready to see that old white steeple.

I rushed in with excitement. As service began, I spoke in silence the words, "Touch 'em Lord" as I scanned each pew, careful not to miss anyone. I repeated the verse from Matthew "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." I was looking for a healing this day for our little church. We have been in a valley the last few weeks and I know I wasn't the only one seeking that heal.

A chill ran down my arm as the song began. I could tell by the taps, the claps, the strength behind the voices, that He was intending on providing that very need. I took my children down to our Sunday School class and counted five littles this day. A few were missing but excitement captured their faces as we began our greetings. They hardly noticed I removed the toy box from the room which I don't intend on returning. I discovered at VBS this week that they didn't need it. They are capable of learning more than I had thought and I intend on teaching without it hindering us. I also found this week, that I can do more than I thought I could and I am determined to be a better Sunday School teacher.

As class came to a close, I felt the need to pray, again. I got down on my knees in the middle of the classroom and told the kids we needed to pray. Ten little knees bent down around me and their tiny heads bowed and we prayed. We prayed for the church, we prayed for the service, we prayed for each other, and we prayed for our own families. Children were praying for brothers, sisters, mommies and daddies and I had to wipe away a tear as their mighty Amens warmed my soul. We pray for our kids all the time, but there's something about hearing a child's prayer for their church that'll hold your back a little straighter.

I knew He heard each and every prayer, and I was thankful to be on the pew one more time for Worship. Many found themselves Testifying, lifting voices or hands or dropping tears in that little country church. I felt like a healing had taken place for many. As the altar flooded with waves of people, I saw children of all ages among them. I counted ten more little knees bending at The Altar. I thanked The Lord for all He's given, and all He's giving. I thanked Him for the days I crawled back to VBS when I was tired and weary and I thanked Him for those ten little knees. Blessed again this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment